Welcome to the SeniorHousingLocator help guide. This guide describes how to use the many features available to help you find appropriate senior housing options. Use the links below to learn more.
- Quick Search Panel – Use this to search by city, county, ZIP code, address, facility name or ID number.
- Show Categories - Use these checkboxes to limit search results to the care categories selected.
- More Search Options – Use these options to filter by specific payment methods, care services and lifestyle amenities offered.
- Results – This displays the total number of facilities found and the parameters of your search.
- Expand/Narrow – Click the Expand button to enlarge the radius of the search to include twice as many facilities, and the Narrow button to contract it, cutting the results in half.
- License Type Filter – Use this dropdown menu to filter your results by specific license types (e.g., “US DHHS Skilled Nursing Facility”).
- Register | Sign In – Sign into your user profile in order to save searches and access exclusive content.
- Text Size – Use this section to increase, decrease or reset the size of the text displayed.
- Availability – A green header indicates that a facility is currently accepting inquiries about residency.
The Quick Search allows you to search for senior housing by location (city, county, ZIP Code and address) and facility name or ID number. You can also click the Switch to Chain Search link to search for facilities in a given chain or organization. The Options section lets you to limit your search results to general care categories, or bring facilities which list availability to the top of results.
To perform a quick search:
- Select the search type you want by clicking in the appropriate field (the first for Location, the second for Facility Name/ID)
- Enter what you would like to search for in the field (e.g., “Seattle, WA” or “98116”).
- Qualify your search if desired by checking or un-checking the care category boxes in the Show Categories section below the search panel.
- Click the button to execute a quick search.
- Click the button to clear the search fields and search results
How to do an Advanced Search
The More Search Options section allows you to limit your search results to facilities that have provided additional information. This feature allows you to filter your results by the various care services, payment options and lifestyle amenities available.
To perform an advanced search:
- Enter criteria for a quick search as normal.
- Click one of the categories (e.g., “Payment Accepted”) to reveal search criteria checkboxes.
- Select the desired criteria checkboxes (e.g., “Medicare”) to limit your search results to facilities which have indicated that they meet these specific needs.
- Click the button to execute an advanced search.
- To clear the search results and search fields, click the button.
- Back to Search Results – Click to go to the previous search results page.
- Contact Facility – Click for a contact form which lets you notify this facility of your interest.
- Tell a Friend – Click to send someone an e-mail containing a link to this facility’s detailed listing.
- Availability – Click to view specifics about what types of rooms are available (e.g., “individual room”) and for whom (e.g., “female”).
- Licenses – Click to view any state or federally issued licenses held by this facility, as well as their license numbers.
- Photo Gallery – Click to view this facility’s photo gallery and virtual tours. Some listings also feature audio tours.
- Map – Click to view a map with the facility on it, get directions to a facility, and see the location of other nearby facilities.
- Affiliations – Click to see if a facility is affiliated with any chains or organizations.
- Highlight – This section provides a brief overview of a facility, which has been written by a member of its staff.
- Profile Details – Click these links to automatically navigate to a section of the profile (e.g., “Care”). These sections describe various specifics about a facility’s offerings.
A facility’s detailed listing provides information about important care services and lifestyle amenities designed to help you select the option which best meets your needs. Listings are made up of information gathered from SNAP-Profiles—questionnaires that senior housing providers fill out which cover over 150 data elements. The main page of a listing contains most of the information from the SNAP-Profile, and can be returned to from any other page in the listing by clicking the Profile link.
Though filling out a SNAP-Profile and receiving a listing is free, not all providers have done so, which is why some facility listings display only minimal information. It should also be noted that listings are thought to be reliable but are not guaranteed to be accurate, as detailed facility information is self-reported. You are advised to verify facts and personally visit each facility you are considering.
To view a facility’s listing, simply click on one of the listing summaries that appears on the search results page (such as the one below).
How to Contact a Facility
The Contact Facility feature allows you to notify a facility of your interest. Filling out a contact form will allow a Senior Housing Locator representative to pass on your information to the facility you have selected. Your information will never be given to anyone without your permission.
To contact a facility:
- Click the Contact Facility link in the facility’s detailed listing.
- Fill out the form. Full name, phone number and valid e-mail address are required fields, and an optional “Notes” section allows you to make annotations (e.g., best time of day to be reached).
E-mail a Listing With Tell a Friend
The Tell a Friend feature allows you to send someone an e-mail containing a link to a facility listing, as well as the facility’s name, address and phone number.
To tell a friend:
- Click the Tell a Friend link in the facility’s listing. This will bring up an e-mail window with the prewritten message: “I have found a senior housing option that I would like to show you”. A link to the listing and the facility’s name, address and phone number are also included.
- If you would like to create a custom message, do so by clicking in the body of the e-mail and typing what you wish to say.
- If you would like to change the subject line of the e-mail, type what you would like it to say into the Subject: field.
- In the To… field, type the e-mail address to which you would like to send the message (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Click the Send button to send the e-mail.
Clicking the Availability link brings you to a section of the listing which lets you know that a facility is currently accepting inquiries from potential residents. If provided, specifics about the type of available rooms (e.g., “Bedroom”) and desired residents (e.g., “husband and wife”) may also be displayed. Availability postings are an optional listing upgrade; it should not be assumed that facilities without them do not have vacancies.
About Licensing Information
Clicking on the Licenses link brings you to a section of the listing which displays any state or federal licenses held by a facility. The information includes the license type, the individual license number, and the state or federal entity which issued the license. Some facilities, such as Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC), may have more than one license type, all of which will be displayed here.
Viewing the Photo Gallery
Some facility listings include a Photo Gallery which lets you view photos and virtual tours of a facility. Upon clicking on the Photo Gallery link, a slide show featuring 12 photographs of the facility will automatically play. Click the stop button to stop the slideshow and the forward arrow and backward arrow to manually scroll through the photos.
The links to the right of the photos (e.g., “Dining Room”) bring up Virtual Tours which provide a 360 degree view of an area of the facility. Click the stop button to stop the rotation and the forward arrow and backward arrow to manually rotate the tour.
Some facilities also have Audio Tours, which are a brief spoken description of the facility. These tours will automatically play during the slide show, and can be restarted by clicking on the gray speaker icon at the left of the gallery control bar. Also found in the control bar are a volume slider and a button that mutes the audio.
Clicking the Map link brings you to a section of the listing which allows you to view a map with the facility on it, get directions to a facility and see the location of other nearby facilities.
General Map Navigation
- Move around the map by using the directional buttons () in the top left corner of the map window, or clicking and dragging with the mouse.
- Zoom in by using the button in the top left corner of the map, double-clicking with the left mouse button, or scrolling the mouse wheel up.
- Zoom out by using the button in the top left corner of the map, double-clicking with the right mouse button, or scrolling the mouse wheel down.
- Click the button to display a traditional street map of the area.
- Click the button in the top right corner to bring up a satellite image of the area with no topographical information.
- Click the button to show the traditional street map’s topographical information overlaid onto the satellite image of the area.
- Check the Show Nearby Facilities checkbox to see neighboring facilities on the map, represented by blue house icons.
- To go to a nearby facility’s profile, click on its blue house icon and then click on the facility name which appears in the bubble.
How to Get Directions to a Facility
- Click the Map link in the facility’s listing.
- Click the pink house icon; this will bring up a bubble with the facility’s name, address and a Get Directions link.
- Click the Get Directions link.
- Type the address from which you would like to start your directions into the field titled Enter your starting address.
- Click the button.
- This will generate both graphic directions on the map and written turn-by-turn directions located above.
- To print the directions, scroll to the top of the screen and click the Print This Page link.
- To start over, click the button.
Becoming a registered user with the Senior Housing Locator enables you to stay informed about senior housing issues and become eligible for the Senior Housing Locator beta program.
Please note that if you have already registered on another site in the SNAPforSeniors Alliance Network, such as SNAPforSeniors.com
, you will need to create a new account on the Senior Housing Locator.
How to Become a Registered User:
- Click the Register link near the top right corner of the screen (this link is available from all pages).
- Fill out the registration form.
- When all fields are filled out, click the Register Now link at the bottom of the page.
- You will be routed to your Senior Housing Locator homepage which you can access while signed in by clicking the My Page tab.
- You will be sent a confirmation e-mail which you should save for your records.
- From My Page you can update your account information, change your password and browse useful resources.
- Click the Sign In link in the top right corner of the screen (this link is available from all pages).
- Type your user name into the field labeled User Name: (Note: Make sure that you enter your “User Name” and not your “Display Name”).
- Type your password into the field labeled Password.
- If you do not want to re-enter your information each time you log in, check the Remember Sign In box and your browser will automatically enter your user name and password when you return to the site.
- If you do not remember your password, click the Forgot Password? link and enter your user name. An e-mail with your password will be sent to the address you provided during registration
- After entering your user name and password, click the button and you will be returned to the page you were previously on.